224th General Assembly (2020) of the PC(USA), Lament To Hope: Assembly Action
Meeting virtually amidst the covid-19 pandemic, the 2020 General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) voted overwhelmingly June 26 to approve the following resolution entitled “Responding to the Sin of Racism and a Call to Action”, which confesses that the church has been complicit in perpetuating injustice; and pledges to “confront and dismantle systemic racism” in the church and in society.
On the Church in This Moment in History—Responding to the Sin of Racism and a Call to Action
“Your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;
you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
you shall be called the repairer of the breach,
the restorer of streets to live in.”
-Isaiah 58:12 (NRSV)
This 224th General Assembly (2020) of the PC(USA) declares that Black lives matter; that our country’s most important institutions have been built to sustain white privilege, to protect white lives and white property at the expense of our siblings of color; and that the church, through ignorance, denial, and in some cases deliberate action, has participated in this injustice. We have been slow to face the reality of systemic racism. We have been slow to acknowledge the pain of our fellow Presbyterians, of our fellow Christians, of our fellow citizens, and of those who have come to America for a better life, whose value has been judged by the color of their skin. We pledge to join hands and hearts with our BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) siblings to actively confront and dismantle systemic racism in our church and in society at large, and to work for a more just, merciful, and peaceful country that allows all of God’s children to flourish.
Corporate Worship During COVID-19
- Services will include call to worship, music, scripture, prayer, message and benediction
- Attendees will be personally welcomed & asked to use a clearly marked entrance and exit.
- Face coverings will be required and be available (along with hand sanitizer & tissues).
- All attendees will be ushered to their seats which have been located for health safety.
- Bulletins will include liturgy & scripture lessons.
- All Bibles & hymnals have been removed from the Sanctuary.
- There will be no in-person pre or post worship fellowship time for the time being.
- The church will not be able to offer Sunday School or childcare at this time.
- Worship will include special music only (soloists or instrumentalist) without the choir.
In the mean time…
If you find it difficult to view First Presbyterian Church’s online services, please contact the church. There are numerous ways that the church may be helpful in providing services for your viewing.